Senior / Principal Engineer - Upstream Bioprocess Optimization
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2022
Mission Barns is where some of the world’s smartest, most passionate people are pioneering the future of food. We are scaling up and optimizing our process to provide sustainable, safe, and humane meat products to the world.
We are a venture-backed startup with decades of experience in cell biology, tissue engineering, media development, food science, bioreactor design, and more. We’re united by our collective drive to solve difficult problems, ask tough questions, and apply cutting-edge science and engineering. At Mission Barns, you’ll have the freedom to dream big and do the best work of your life.
Mission Barns is seeking a highly talented technical leader of our upstream bioprocess optimization team. The leader will play a pivotal role in our bioprocess department. The candidate is expected to build a dynamic and highly skilled process optimization team, work closely with the bioprocess leadership team to build a short/mid/long-term project portfolio, design and execute a wide range of process characterization and optimization studies, and collaborate with the technology transfer team to scale up and implement process improvements into GMP pilot plant operations. Also, the candidate is expected to work closely with downstream bioprocess and cell line development teams, follow methodical process optimization and scale-up approaches to generate results. The candidate will display teamwork, full alignment with strategic plans and agreed upon priorities, and passion for Mission Barns’ mission.
The candidate is expected to keep abreast of new technologies and approaches and strategically employ these into the development, optimization, and implementation of a cost effective, robust and GMP compliant bioprocesses.
- Full-time, exempt
- 100% Onsite, not remote
- San Francisco, CA
- Full time employees enjoy medical, dental and vision coverage, flexible holiday and vacation time, stock options, 401k, and ample opportunity for career advancement as the company grows
- Salary range: $120,000-$160,000
- Drive process improvement activities in the areas of upstream process characterization and optimization (e.g., cell expansion, proliferation, differentiation, media, etc.)
- Develop talents and provide clear directions to meet functional and strategic goals.
- Build and manage a portfolio of strategic studies/projects to further improve upstream process performance
- Develop project/study plans with clear goals, timelines, and resources
- Lead and execute protocol-driven process improvement studies through effective utilization of DoE methodology, high throughput process optimization, scale up/down, process analytical technology (PAT), and process control strategies geared towards more robust and cost effective GMP pilot scale manufacturing processes
- Effectively partner with all stakeholders (internal and external) to accomplish agreed upon goals
- Fully document process development and improvement activities according to appropriate quality standards and in support of intellectual property development
- Ensure data integrity and scientific rigor in R&D experiments
- Support regulatory filings and regulatory audits as appropriate
- Maintain awareness of cGXP, good scientific practices, follow and promote lab and office safety
- Ph.D. or M.Sc. in Bioprocess/Biochemical Engineering or biochemical engineering and 2+ years or 5+ years, respectively, of hands-on bioprocess development experience
- Hands on cell-culture based lab-scale and/or pilot-scale experience
- Technical knowledge and hands-on experience in a combination of cell culture expansion, bioreactor process design/control, upstream, and cell harvest
- Proven knowledge and expertise in DoE/statistical analysis (e.g., JMP or StatEase)Solid understanding of process scale-up and scale-down methodologies
- Strong record of leading bioprocess optimization and scale up projects into implementation
- Mindful of the current bioprocessing technology trends
- Team player and effective communicator
- People leadership and team building experience
- Record of building internal/external partnerships
- Experience in regulatory and quality considerations, including, but not limited to, establishment of Critical Process Parameters and Critical Quality Attributes, Chemistry, Manufacturing, and Controls compliance, and Biologics License Application submissions
- Experience in food processing equipment and regulations
- Experience in GMP-compliant process automation and Good Automated Manufacturing Practices
Full Time employees enjoy 99% coverage for medical, dental and vision benefits, pre-tax benefits, a 401K, stock options, a brand new state of the art office close to 101, I-80, walking distance to public transit (BART, MUNI, SamTrans), an unlimited supply of snacks, flavored waters, coffee, tea and ample career advancement as the company grows.
Mission Barns is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.