Mechanical Engineer - New Graduate
Radiant Industries is an El Segundo, CA-based startup developing Kaleidos, a portable, containerized nuclear microreactor. Portable nuclear power with rapid deploy capability can replace diesel generators used today to provide critical asset support for hospitals, datacenters, and military bases or to power microgrids at remote sites. Radiant’s unique, practical approach to nuclear development utilizes modern software engineering to rapidly achieve safe, factory-constructable microreactors leveraging existing, well-qualified materials. Radiant is on a fast track to demonstrate the first fueled operation of a new commercial nuclear reactor design, just three years from now.
Mechanical Engineer - New Graduates
Radiant is seeking a highly motivated early career mechanical engineers to develop new hardware with an experienced engineering team in a fast-paced startup environment! You'll have the opportunity to design and analyze a wide variety of components in support of developing Kaleidos. You'll get exposure to interdisciplinary teams across software, nuclear and electrical and deepening understanding of integrated systems. You'll have the opportunity to make an impact in Radiant's goal to be the first successfully fueled commercial reactor in over 50 years by 2026.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Mechanical Engineering ownership of components and subsystems, such as the following:
- Reactor core pressure vessel design per Boiler & Pressure Vessel Code (BPVC)
- Reactor internal components and mechanisms
- Radiation shielding and thermal insulation
- Heat exchangers and other fluid system components
- Transportation and assembly tooling
- Perform detailed thermal and mechanical analysis (static strength, durability/fatigue) to determine structural integrity (margins of safety) using both hand calculations and finite element tools.
- Perform trade studies to optimize structure and meet program requirements.
- Develop and execute manufacturing/assembly instructions and test plans.
- Create and manage a Bill-Of-Materials (BOM).
- Find and develop suppliers for all components
- Own subassembly design, manufacturing, and test schedules
- Own risk analysis (FMEA) for subsystems
- Collect requirements, provide expertise and feedback to engineers in other functional areas via clear, constructive communication.
Required Qualifications & Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or similar field from an accredited institution.
- Experience with CAD and FEA software packages.
Desired Qualifications & Skills
- Solid understanding and application of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T).
- Experience designing hardware that was manufactured, deployed and iteratively improved on, including research work or club activities.
- Enjoy solving problems and continually work with a growth mindset.
- Self-motivated with strong organizational, written, and oral communication skills.
- Solid first-principles analysis skillset:
- Proficiency with both "hand calc" analytical methods and higher fidelity Finite Element based analysis methods.
- Proficiency in Python, C or C++.
- Excellent ability to collaborate and communicate with peers, leaders and teams across skillsets.
Employee Benefits for Eligible Employees:
- Stock: Substantial incentive stock plan for all full time, salaried employees
- Medical: 100% up to base silver level plan for employee + 50% dependents, offers up to Platinum plans.
- Vision: 100% coverage + 50% for dependents
- Dental: 100% coverage, orthodontia extra, 50% for dependents
- Voluntary Life, Accident, Hospital, Critical Illness, Commuter and FSA are offered as employee contributed benefits.
- Vacation/Sick time
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.