Senior Power Electronics Engineer
Radiant Industries is an El Segundo, CA-based startup developing Kaleidos, a portable, containerized nuclear microreactor. Portable nuclear power with rapid deploy capability can replace diesel generators used today to provide critical asset support for hospitals, datacenters, and military bases or to power microgrids at remote sites. Radiant’s unique, practical approach to nuclear development utilizes modern software engineering to rapidly achieve safe, factory-constructable microreactors leveraging existing, well-qualified materials. Radiant is on a fast track to demonstrate the first fueled operation of a new commercial nuclear reactor design, just three years from now.
Radiant is seeking a talented senior electrical power engineer to own designs from requirements capture through operation. The candidate will own the architecture of a nuclear microreactor power system capable of outputting 1 MW of electrical power to a grid or microgrid. The ideal candidate should be comfortable jumping from designing high power circuit boards and alternators to testing microgrid power equipment. This role requires collaboration with multi-disciplinary teams for proper operation of a nuclear reactor, fluids system, and structures. No nuclear engineering experience is required.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Work with multi-disciplinary team to support the architectural design, implementation, and testing of a 1 MW nuclear microreactor electrical control system.
- Responsible Engineer with total ownership over the Kaleidos power system including requirements definition and project management.
- Develop and test high speed alternator, rectifiers, and inverters for 1MW delivery to microgrid through direct design engineering and vendor management to minimize schedule.
- Develop and test DC high power battery to provide black start capability, all power internal to Kaleidos, energy storage to the grid, and stability to the electrical power conversion equipment.
- Create system electrical models for integration into reactor digital twin and microgrid simulations and validate through component and system testing.
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- 8+ years experience designing compact electrical hardware for megawatt power conversion, including alternators, active rectifiers, and inverters.
- Design and test experience with 480V AC three-phase microgrids, circuit breakers, load banks, power factor measurement.
- Regulatory familiarity and design experience with islanding, grid-tie, grid-forming.
- Experience working a combined design approach with in-house and vendor to sourcing complex electrical power hardware.
- Experience with cooling system integrated design, liquid cooled architectures.
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in electrical engineering or related field.
- Experience trading electrical architectures and make vs. buy trades.
Desired Qualifications & Skills:
- 10+ years experience with utility scale power systems: transformers, breakers, switchgear, wire and cable systems at 12kV+, and connectorized systems at 1kV.
- Experience designing fault-tolerant and safety critical hardware.
- Experience building teams, interest in mentoring younger engineers.
- Experience using Ethernet, CANbus, RS-422, or other communications protocols.
Proficiency with electrical cabinet or circuit board design software tools.
Familiarity with radiation effects on electronics.
- Experience implementing microcontrollers and/or FPGAs.
- Basic familiarity with Python and C/C++.
- Stock: Substantial incentive stock plan for all full time, salaried employees
- Medical: 100% up to base silver level plan for employee + 50% dependents, offers up to Platinum plans.
- Vision: 100% coverage + 50% for dependents
- Dental: 100% coverage, orthodontia extra, 50% for dependents
- Voluntary Life, Accident, Hospital, Critical Illness, Commuter and FSA are offered as employee contributed benefits.
- Vacation/Sick time
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.