Limelight Steel is on a mission to eliminate emissions from iron and steelmaking and build a brighter future. 8% of global CO2 emissions come from current steelmaking processes - the largest source of industrial emissions. Limelight Steel’s laser furnace converts clean electricity into laser light that is tuned to rapidly and efficiently heat iron ore and create iron metal and steel products - reducing the energy required to electrify steelmaking by 49%. We are building furnaces to produce clean steel that will form the foundations of a fossil-fuel-free world.
We are a startup in Oakland, CA, backed by industry-leading climate tech investors, looking to grow our team. Our people are the foundation of our company, and we are committed to building a diverse and courageous team of people motivated to make a positive impact on the world. We want to hire people who are kind and supportive teammates and have the perseverance to achieve our audacious goal to decarbonize the steel industry.
As our first Metallurgical Engineer, you will be the owner of metallurgical processes to remove impurities from iron ore and produce high purity iron.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Lead build of Limelight's ladle furnace that removes impurities through design, analysis, prototype, test, and manufacture phases
- Control the purity of iron by using hydrogen injection and slag forming processes
- Select refractory lining materials to withstand furnace operating conditions
- Develop bench scale and full-scale test plans to validate models and performance requirements
- Work closely with the engineering team and external partners on prototype design, installation, and beyond.
- Work from first principles to troubleshoot design and implementation challenges on a first-of-a-kind ironmaking furnace
- Develop and maintain internal practices and documentation on metallurgical processes
- Materials Science or Metallurgical Engineering degree or 5+ years experience in industrial metallurgical applications
- Experience with slag forming processes to remove impurities from molten iron
- Experience with high temperature furnaces
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills, ability to think about problems from a first-principles perspective
- Experience working independently, as well as work in team-oriented and fast-paced startup-like environments
- Competitive stock option package
- Comprehensive health benefits that include:
- Full premium coverage for UnitedHealthcare PPO Gold for employees with 80% coverage for dependents
- Full premium coverage for Guardian Vision and Dental for employees
- Generous time-off schedule
- 20 days paid time off
- 10 holidays (personalized to the holidays you observe)
- Sustainable 401(k) retirement savings plan with company match
- Work computer that suits your preferences, 4K monitor, and accompanying budget for peripherals
- 2x weekly catered team lunches and unlimited snacks/drinks in the office
- A team of curious, passionate, kind, and courageous people committed to eliminating industrial emissions that contribute to climate change
- Unparalleled opportunities for growth, leadership, and project ownership in a dynamic and rapidly-growing startup company