Senior Thermal Engineer
Limelight Steel is on a mission to eliminate emissions from iron and steelmaking and build a brighter future. 8% of global CO2 emissions come from current steelmaking processes - the largest source of industrial emissions. Limelight Steel’s laser furnace converts clean electricity into laser light that is tuned to rapidly and efficiently heat iron ore and create iron metal and steel products - reducing the energy required to electrify steelmaking by 49%. We are building furnaces to produce clean steel that will form the foundations of a fossil-fuel-free world.
We are a startup in Oakland, CA, backed by industry-leading climate tech investors, looking to grow our team. Our people are the foundation of our company, and we are committed to building a diverse and courageous team of people motivated to make a positive impact on the world. We want to hire people who are kind and supportive teammates and have the perseverance to achieve our audacious goal to decarbonize the steel industry.
As our first Thermal Engineer, you will be the owner of the thermal design of our laser furnace.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Lead thermal design of Limelight's laser furnace from architecture evaluations through design, analysis, prototype, test, and manufacture phases
- Ensure the thermal performance of the laser furnace by developing robust heat transfer models of conduction, radiation, and convection to predict system level performance
- Develop bench scale and full-scale test plans to validate models and performance requirements
- Work closely with the engineering team on prototype design, installation, and beyond.
- Works from first principles to troubleshoot design and implementation challenges on a first-of-a-kind laser furnace
- Develop and maintain internal design practices and documentation on thermal and system design
- Mechanical Engineering degree or 5+ years’ experience in industrial mechanical engineering applications
- Experience with thermal modeling and engineering in applications like high power electronics and high temperature furnaces
- Experience with drafting software (AutoCAD, Solidworks) and thermal simulation software (Ansys, Comsol, Aspen)
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills, ability to think about problems from a first-principles perspective
- Experience working independently, as well as work in team-oriented and fast-paced startup-like environments
Additional Qualifications Desired
- Experience with powder feed control - industrial material, mining, and/or food powder processing
- Stock options
- Benefits package, including:
- 100% employer premium coverage for PPO Gold health plan for employees
- Option for PPO Platinum health plan, with employer premium coverage up to Gold level
- Guardian Vision and Dental coverage
- 30 days paid time off policy, including holidays
- A team of curious, passionate, kind, and courageous people committed to eliminating industrial emissions that contribute to climate change
- Unparalleled opportunities for growth, leadership, and project ownership in a dynamic and rapidly-growing startup company
Something looks off?