Director of Hardware Engineering
Who We Are:
Dusty Robotics develops robot-powered tools for the modern construction workforce.
While today's buildings are built predominantly with manual labor, Dusty envisions a future in which skilled labor makes use of robotic automation to make the work safer, more efficient, and more precise! We want to create a future where construction workers don't need to retire early because their bodies give out. In Dusty's future, the buildings we live and work in are built by teams of creative and problem-solving construction crews who direct robots to do the dull/dirty/dangerous work.
What We're Building:
Dusty bridges the gap between the digital world of building design with the skilled labor operating in the field, accelerating the digital transformation of the construction industry. The centerpiece of our strategy is the FieldPrinter: a mobile printer-on-wheels that prints building floorplans full-size on the concrete floor of a construction site. When errors in layout can cause multi-million-dollar mistakes, our product ensures that all field crews are building off of a single source of truth derived from the digital model.
Dusty is seeking a Director of Hardware Engineering to lead the development of hardware products with our existing team of mechanical and electrical engineers, and to participate in hardware development as a contributor of foundational design, innovation and technical oversight. The hardware team develops the FieldPrinter robot, other robotic products, and companion devices for the construction industry. Hardware engineers participate in cross-functional concurrent engineering teams and take their daily direction from those projects.
The Director of Hardware Engineering’s role is to:
- Establish the practices, processes, tools and resources each role needs to succeed
- Contribute foundational design and technical oversight across hardware projects
- Facilitate innovation, creativity, and foundational product capabilities across hardware projects
- Ensure reliability, manufacturability and standards compliance are designed into all hardware products
- Closely integrate with the manufacturing team to establish handoff processes and troubleshoot service issues
- Continue to staff the team with top talent, whether that be new hires, contractors or design firms as needed
We are looking for engineers and leaders who are innovative and aspirational in what they build, who seek out novel technical capabilities to expand the realm of what’s possible. We are building products that have never existed before in the construction industry, so we need to bring all our creative thinking to bear on their design and function to help the industry adopt them and become more efficient.
This is an in-office position at Dusty’s headquarters in Mountain View. We are an office-centric hardware company enjoying the efficiency and camaraderie of in-person collaboration.
Who You Are:
- 15+ years experience designing or managing the development of robots or other electromechanical devices for low-volume production
- Proven ability to adapt hardware engineering processes to a fast-paced small company
- An innovative mindset: pushing teams to consider novel approaches, technologies, tools and techniques to achieve simplicity and reliability in hardware design
- A focus on people and what they need to develop products they can be proud of
- Excellent communication skills: able to explain technical concepts simply and clearly
- Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent experience
Why You Should Join:
In joining our team, you’ll become an important part of a small and fast-growing company. We are daring to accomplish something big, do you want to be a critical part of Dusty's success? We are deeply committed to our mission, and we believe in removing roadblocks that distract us from reaching our goals.
To that end, we offer an unlimited vacation policy, a 401k with employer match, reasonable work hours, and flexible schedules. We know that our best work happens when we feel well-rested and capable of focusing all of our energy on making Dusty successful!
Strong, effective teams are composed of people with a diverse set of backgrounds and experiences who bring a variety of perspectives to their work. We actively encourage applications from a diverse pool, including those from historically under-represented groups such as women, people of color, people who identify LGBTQ, people with disabilities, and immigrants.
Our Code of Conduct:
Dusty Robotics exists to serve a wide variety of customers from all walks of life. We believe that our mission is best served in an environment that is friendly, safe, accepting, and free of intimidation or harassment. We do not tolerate abusive behavior.
Where You'll Work:
Dusty’s offices are located in Mountain View, CA. You will be primarily working from our office in this role to facilitate rapid coordination with executive leadership and business teams. You can also expect to travel a small amount to customer locations around the US.