Engineer, Protein Recovery and Continuous Flow
Durham, NC, USA
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2022
Curie Co uses the power of biotechnology to replace petrochemicals in everyday products, with more sustainable, engineered enzymes. We’re looking for team members passionate about achieving this mission and contributing to the biomanufacturing revolution. Individuals with exceptional multitasking skills, attention to detail, and self-motivated with the ability to work independently and thrive in a fast-paced environment. Excellent relational, communication, and presentation skills are highly regarded to help continue to foster a collaborative and learning environment.
- Develop commercially scalable processes for the purification of recombinant proteins and enzymes expressed in microbial hosts (e.g., bacteria or yeast)
- Develop and scale biocatalytic reactions using immobilized enzymes in continuous flow
- Participate and advise in the development of final product specifications
- Support development of unit operations and process flows at the bench -scale (1-20L) such as, centrifugation, homogenization, crystallization, ultra-filtration, depth filtration, ion exchange and preparative chromatography
- Collaboratively design and execute experiments (DOE), analyze data, write and review technical reports and protocols, and present during team meetings
- Prepare technology transfer documents including detailed process descriptions, mass balances, process flow diagrams (PFD’s)
- Calculate scale-up factors
- Participate in technology transfer to contract manufacturers
- Research, learn, and incorporate promising techniques and technologies in enzyme manufacturing protocols
- Degree in Chemical Engineering or related discipline with 2-5 years of industrial biotech experience.
- Sound understanding of protein biochemistry and recombinant protein expression in microbial hosts relevant to downstream purification
- Strong technical background and direct hands-on experience with large scale protein purification downstream processing unit operations such as preparative chromatography, centrifugation, homogenization, micro filtration, ultra-filtration, etc.
- Proficiency is a plus: experience in developing immobilized enzyme reactions and/or flow chemistry
- Experience with final formulation, granulation, spray drying is a plus