Drilling and Completions Engineer
Austin, TX, USA
Posted on Tuesday, August 1, 2023
Bedrock Energy is on a mission to transform the heating & cooling of buildings, using geothermal energy to radically reduce costs for people and the environment. We know that the earth underneath our cities holds extraordinary, untapped capacity to accelerate the clean energy transition, and Bedrock is gathering exceptional talent to scale this carbon-free, hyper-efficient, ultra-safe geothermal energy to buildings throughout the world. We seek to work with creative, collaborative, proactive team members who inspire us with their high standards of excellence, integrity, and commitment to our shared mission. We welcome you to join the Bedrock Energy team in empowering one another to innovate together, as we decarbonize buildings everywhere.
As the first member of Bedrock Energy’s Project Engineering team, you will be responsible for the design and deployment of geothermal heating and cooling systems. You will collaborate with a growing team of software, electrical, and mechanical technologists and our field deployment team to deliver our novel drilling and heat pump technologies to decarbonize buildings everywhere. You will be the technical leader delivering customer-focused engineering solutions that meet geothermal and MEP project requirements. In doing so, you will also help set the early foundation of our engineering organization’s culture, processes, systems, and standards.
- Design geothermal heating and cooling systems by utilizing engineering tools applying functional knowledge of building energy modeling, fluid systems, solid mechanics, heat transfer, well construction, etc.
- Collaborate with mechanical, electrical and software engineers, operational crews, and commercial partners to design and analyze field projects, acquire and process high-quality data related to field operations and equipment, write engineering reports, and conduct diagnosis of routine equipment malfunctions, etc.
- Participate in professional societies in areas of specialization, write technical papers, and present at technical and trade conferences
- Support in development of patent inventions when applicable
- Share skills and knowledge across the organization by documenting best practices, case histories, and lessons learned to the company’s knowledge management database and in team learning sessions
- Degree(s) in Engineering (Mechanical, Civil, or Geotechnical preferred) or related fields
- Industry experience related to geo-energy or hydrocarbon well construction and downhole tool development
- Knowledge of fundamental drilling engineering and theory including: casing design, drill string design, drilling fluids, trajectory design, drilling optimization & surveying
- Appetite for learning about building energy modeling and HVAC systems
- BS + 5 years of relevant industry experience, or MS + 3 years of relevant industry experience; Professional Engineer is a plus
- Experience collaborating in cross-functional engineering environments
- Passion for the clean energy transition
- Proactivity: You take ownership, offer hypotheses, and hold yourself accountable.
- Coachability: You welcome & react constructively to feedback and seek new skills with gusto.
- Excellence: You hold yourself, and your team members, to high standards of performance.
- Creativity: You enjoy finding resourceful, unconventional, flexible solutions to problems.
- Integrity: You take pride in ethical, honest behavior, no matter who is around to see it.
- Compassion: You remember empathy, respect, and care in your interactions with others.
- Commitment to Diversity: You actively look to surround yourself & collaborate inclusively with people who are different from you in experience, background, worldview, and resources.
Bedrock Energy is building a strong culture based on our Organizational Values.
In addition, we are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Bedrock Energy is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.