Sr Principal Engineer - Data Engineering
Come work alongside some of the most talented minds in agriculture technology. We are a team of innovators who are accelerating the sustainability and digitization of our planet’s food system. At Arable, you will have the unique opportunity to build something meaningful with an amazing group of people who care about each other and their work.
What we do:
At Arable, our goal is to connect all the world’s farms and provide the highest quality data to power the predictive analytics that will help optimize the global food system. This is an ambitious goal, but the need has never been greater to rethink how we will feed an ever-growing population and reduce our impact on natural resources. We believe the heart of the solution is digitizing the analog world with high-fidelity data to help food producers optimize their operations. We hope the impact of our work will improve the lives of farmers everywhere and be a major contribution to securing the global food supply for decades to come.
A few examples of the work we’re doing today:
- Helping farmers in India and Mozambique adapt to the effects of climate change on their farms with novel data-driven crop insurance
- Giving fresh produce growers in California, USA the tools to optimize production with less food waste
- Helping irrigated farmers in Nebraska, USA to manage water more efficiently and sustainably to protect our water supply
What you will do:
- Engage in impactful projects outlined in the Arable Roadmap that are customer-focused and highly visible.
- Collaborate closely with the Product Management team to comprehend customer requirements and propose effective solutions.
- Architect and develop sophisticated software solutions within an Agile development framework.
- Create and execute designs for efficient data processing, harmonizing diverse data sources.
- Construct and uphold technical documentation encompassing Entity-Relationship (ER) models, data dictionaries, and taxonomy, fostering data traceability.
- Work alongside cross-functional teams to collectively achieve team objectives and OKRs.
- Actively contribute to quarterly planning and Sprint activities to drive project success.
- Contribute to the delivery of software solutions characterized by high quality, scalability, and maintainability.
What you will bring:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in the IT industry, with at least 5 years focused on data processing, data lakes, and data storage solutions.
- Expertise in designing and implementing cloud-based data processing solutions, particularly using data pipelines, preferably within the AWS environment.
- Proficiency in ETL methodologies, scripting languages like Python, and relevant libraries essential for data processing.
- Experience working with diverse data storage systems, including big data systems, RDBMS, NoSQL databases, Cache, and in-memory stores.
- Hands-on familiarity with data warehouse, data integration, and data virtualization technologies.
- Proficiency in utilizing data visualization tools such as Tableau, QuickSight, and Power BI.
- Strong team player with outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience working across multiple public cloud environments, including Azure, GCP, etc.
- Proficiency in using SQL, preferably with PostgreSQL.
- Familiarity with GraphQL databases like Neo4J and Apollo Server.
- Exposure to Internet of Things (IoT) systems.
What we offer:
At Arable, you will be joining a company of dedicated team players who bring together diverse expertise and a passion for building a more sustainable future. You’ll find no shortage of lively conversation around the lunch table about the food we eat and how it is produced. We are a fast-moving startup committed to providing a rewarding employee experience through the work we do, the team, compensation, and benefits, including:
- Competitive compensation commensurate with experience
- Ability to work closely with customers who are hungry for our product, where you can make a positive impact on their livelihood and the world
- A focus on community involvement and career development
- We are an equal-opportunity employer and value diversity at our company.
- We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.