Senior Firmware Engineer
Who We Are
Humane is a team of proven industry experts who have invented, built, and shipped category-defining hardware and software products to billions of people across the globe. We're known for building the audacious, ambitious, and the impossible, and we're doing it again. Our vision for the next shift between humans and computing requires innovation across multiple emerging technologies in hardware and software, from devices to cloud services.
About The Role
Humane's Firmware team is responsible for firmware and systems software for our hardware platform as well as accessories. We serve as the glue between our hardware teams and our higher-level software teams, and delight in finding creative solutions to complex, interdisciplinary problems as we bring our product visions to life.
As a senior firmware engineer on this team, you will design and implement firmware sensors, security and privacy components, power systems, and more. You will collaborate closely with our electrical engineering, product design, and quality teams as well as vendors and manufacturing partners.
What You Might Do
- Take responsibility for defining new projects
- Systems level architecture and design
- Solve complex systems problems along with our hardware and product design teams.
- Apply best practices for firmware development, test, and deployment
- Develop security protocols for communication and update
- Bring up and debug new hardware in the lab
- 5+ years experience developing firmware for embedded platforms
- Familiarity with a broad range of sensors, peripherals, and PMICs, and communication buses
- Passionate about minimizing power consumption in embedded systems
- Proficient in C/C++
- Ability to collaborate in a psychologically safe and healthy team environment
- Comfortable with hardware debugging tools and techniques
- Demonstrated experience designing software for complex systems and low power devices
- Demonstrated ability to work cross functionally with hardware, design, and program management teams
- Familiarity with STM32, Cypress PSoC, or Nordic architectures
- Experience designing and developing linux device drivers and application software
- Experience with preemptive multitasking RTOSes
- Power management experience
- Experience in test driven development with Python
Salary Range: $185,000 - $235,000
Compensation & Benefits
- The salary range for this role is listed above. Final salary offered is based upon multiple factors including individual job-related qualifications, education, experience, knowledge and skills
- At Humane, you'll enjoy benefits that include health & wellness and work/life balance offerings. Our portfolio of benefits include: comprehensive healthcare insurance, disability insurance, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, and a 401K plan
- Humane employees also enjoy generous paid time off and leave programs, commuter benefits, team events, snacks and other perks
- Develop cutting edge technologies in a creative and innovative environment
- Imagine new opportunities in areas that matter and will impact the world you live in
- Be a part of a high performing team of the world’s best innovators and executors
- Flexible work arrangements to support you in working in the way that you work best
- Our values: trust truth +joy
At Humane, diversity is important to us.
Humane is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit and business needs. We do not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion (including, but not necessarily limited to, religious creed, dress, and grooming practices), citizenship, marital status, age, national origin, place of birth, height, weight, ancestry, mental or physical disability, genetic information, medical condition, U.S. (state and federal) military and veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, sex, gender, pregnancy (including childbirth or related medical condition), or any other characteristics protected under applicable federal, state, or local laws (“protected characteristics” or “protected categories”). Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and other similar state laws and ordinances, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. At Humane, building a healthy and safe workplace is core to our mission. We prohibit harassment of any kind.