Senior Software Engineer, Privacy
Who We Are
Humane is a team of proven industry experts who have invented, built, and shipped category-defining hardware and software products to billions of people across the globe. We're known for building the audacious, ambitious, and the impossible, and we're doing it again. Our vision for the next shift between humans and computing requires innovation across multiple emerging technologies in hardware and software, from devices to cloud services.
About The Role
Join the Humane Security Team to create something the world has never seen before. We are attempting something impactful, innovating at the deepest levels of hardware and going big with a service that will compel users to experience computing in a new way. Privacy and security are table stakes for our product and absolutely integral to our success.
As a Senior Software Engineer working on Privacy, you will design solutions that balance users’ privacy rights with a great user experience to provide the best of both worlds. Your work will enable our users to control their data and give them a transparent way to understand the data we collect, why we collect it and the benefit to the user for entrusting us with it. At Humane, we believe that the user owns their data and it is a privilege for us to access that data for their benefit. In this role, you will be responsible for creating the technology that maintains the privacy and security that Humane promises to our users.
What You Might Do
- Work cross-functionally across the company with design, hardware, system software, services software, infrastructure, legal and other teams to design the right privacy and security systems for the right user experiences.
- Define and implement user data transparency policy, architecture and technology. We are not retrofitting data privacy onto an existing product; we are creating new technology that will benefit our users and Humane – something better than what has come before.
- Design and write code: C/C++, Java, Python and more
- Guide company decisions related to industry privacy requirements.
- Have fun at a dynamic company with a deep commitment to product.
- 6+ years of software engineering experience
- 1+ years of privacy experience
- Software engineering experience in multiple languages
- Understanding of security & cryptography
- Designing & building user focused privacy solutions
- Familiarity with privacy regulation, such as GDPR and CPPA
- Ability to deal with the chaos, ambiguity and excitement that comes with a 0->1 Startup company with an ambition product
- Experience with cross-functional privacy initiatives such as data inventory, data sensitivity classifications, data tagging, etc.
- Proactive approach to product development – you see a need and you jump in to make it happen
- Comfortable working in a highly cross-functional role
- Self-directed, selfless and mature
- Great communication skills
- Confident in your opinions and not threatened when challenged
- Open to feedback and modest enough to admit when you’re wrong
- Growth mindset – you’ll be learning every day
- Know how to work independently and when to ask for input
- Data protection at scale
- User privacy controls, privacy profiles & data transparency reporting
- Secure / confidential computing (exposure to HSMs, TPMs, TEEs, etc.)
- Background in network protocols
Salary range: $185,000 - $235,000
Compensation & Benefits
- The salary range for this role is listed above. Final salary offered is based upon multiple factors including individual job-related qualifications, education, experience, knowledge and skills
- At Humane, you'll enjoy benefits that include health & wellness and work/life balance offerings. Our portfolio of benefits include: comprehensive healthcare insurance, disability insurance, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, and a 401K plan
- Humane employees also enjoy generous paid time off and leave programs, commuter benefits, team events, snacks and other perks
- Develop cutting edge technologies in a creative and innovative environment
- Imagine new opportunities in areas that matter and will impact the world you live in
- Be a part of a high performing team of the world’s best innovators and executors
- Flexible work arrangements to support you in working in the way that you work best
- Our values: trust truth +joy
At Humane, diversity is important to us.
Humane is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit and business needs. We do not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion (including, but not necessarily limited to, religious creed, dress, and grooming practices), citizenship, marital status, age, national origin, place of birth, height, weight, ancestry, mental or physical disability, genetic information, medical condition, U.S. (state and federal) military and veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, sex, gender, pregnancy (including childbirth or related medical condition), or any other characteristics protected under applicable federal, state, or local laws (“protected characteristics” or “protected categories”). Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and other similar state laws and ordinances, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. At Humane, building a healthy and safe workplace is core to our mission. We prohibit harassment of any kind.
Something looks off?