Machine Shop Manager
Astranis is on a mission to bridge the digital divide by connecting the four billion people worldwide who currently lack internet access. We're doing this by building the next generation of smaller, more cost-effective spacecraft to bring the world online.
As a team, we’ve launched two satellites into orbit, signed ten commercial deals worth over $1 billion in revenue, raised over $500 million from top global investors, and recruited a team of over 300 world-class engineers. We all work out of our (legendary) San Francisco office, which was once used to build ships during the World Wars.
Our satellites, which operate from geostationary orbit (GEO), weigh only 400 kg and utilize a proprietary software-defined radio payload. Each satellite can connect over two million people, and we’re very excited for the impact we’ll soon have in the Philippines, Peru, Mexico, and more!
Backed by substantial funding and a passionate, collaborative team, we offer a rewarding work environment where you'll learn and make a significant impact, no matter where you are in your career.
Apply and join us on our journey towards global connectivity!
Machine Shop Manager
The Manager of Machining will directly lead a small team of highly talented aerospace machinists and quality specialists to build the highest quality aerospace parts and tooling in the industry. This leader will be responsible for planning and scheduling (including make/buy decisions), quality control of internally and externally built parts, and design review of internally designed parts and assemblies. They will also own expansion planning, machine sourcing, and new process introduction to grow our machine shop’s capacity and capability going forward. If you are a master of your craft, an accomplished and gritty leader who likes to roll up your sleeves, and relish extreme ownership, then this might be the job for you.
- Manage a diverse team of high performing individuals and create a rockstar team culture by supporting them in their work, giving clear direction, promoting their professional growth, and leading by example.
- Create and enforce a rigorous safety program to ensure no injuries or incidents occur in your area.
- Review and approve part drawings, models, and build procedures for aerospace prototype and production parts, and produce them to the highest quality standard.
- Develop and implement robust business processes for work order tracking, non-conformance resolution, inventory control, machine maintenance, and many more.
- Organize inputs from engineering, manufacturing, suppliers, and business development to create and maintain schedules using Smartsheet, Microsoft Office, and other tools. Deliver clear priorities to the team and provide up-to-date build status and other keymetrics to all stakeholders.
- Ensure every part that makes it to the production floor, whether built internally or externally, is fully conforming to requirements.
- Drive design for manufacturing initiatives and standardization in partnership with design engineering teams, to ensure high quality and low cost part designs.
- Specify and source material for jobs as needed based on requests for parts, and plan and maintain an inventory of material for quick-turn projects.
- Develop and deliver training for employees on other teams to safely use manual machining equipment for development projects.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
- 5+ years experience machining parts for aerospace, medical, or other high-reliability industries.
- 2+ years experience in a people leadership role in machining or manufacturing/production.
- Knowledge of Solidworks and HSMworks operation as well as other CAM systems.
- Knowledge of Haas, Matsuura and general Fanuc controllers.
- Understanding of rigging and safety for moving objects.
- Proficiency with inspection tools and experience dimensionally verifying hardware to engineering specifications.
- CMM programming experience (Mitutoyo preferred).
- Welding experience (MIG/TIG).
- Understanding of material properties of commonly used metals, and the relevant industry certifications and tests.
- Strong background in planning, using an ERP software system and/or other methods.